Friday, September 08, 2006

It's been Eight Years!!!

It's been over eight years since I have donated blood... 3/10/1998 to be exact! Back then I was great at it... I donated every 60 days and it made me feel good. April 1998 I got my first bone tumor and couldn't donate for 12 months. Then as many of you know, it came back and the monthly needle pokes began. It made me terrified of needles. The Red Cross said I had to wait 5 years after my last treatment before I could donate again... but I always made excuses as to why I couldn't donate blood after my 5-year anniversary. Well it's September.. and we all know that the 11th is a reminder of how important it is to help out our country. I may be afraid of needles, but I can only imagine the fear that our soldiers face daily (not that I compare blood donation to what they do daily).

So as I went through the thorough evaluation from the Red Cross feeling like I was joining the armed services (they definatly changed their format in the past 8 years) and then I began to wonder why I didn't do this eight months ago when I was able to donate. It wasn't fun... but I signed up to Donate again on November 10th!!! Eventually the sweaty palms and untrusting feelings towards the nurse who is about to stick me with a needle will fade away. I wrote this blog because I felt I could brag that I faced a big fear... and it wasn't so bad. And to smile at Juli becasue I know she's wondering if I got light headed!!!!

1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

Good for you! I hope you don't feel light headed! I haven't given blood since that day! You are a brave woman! I am proud of you.
love, Julianne