Friday, January 04, 2008

99 bottles of beer on the wall...99 bottles of beer...

A song that comes into mind at strange moments. This song came into my head yesterday as my 65 staples were removed (you know...65 staples on my arm...65 staples....pinch one out pass it about, 64 more staples in the arm). YES, it hurt. And not only that, but it came in two waves. Dr. Jebson had the nurse remove half the staples so he could make sure the incision site wasn't open and then he asked her to remove the other half. During the removal of the first 32 1/2 staples I kept thinking thank god I only have to do half right now. About 5 minutes after the first half and it was just my dad and I in the room waiting for Dr. Jebson to look at the incision site...... I thought Shit... now I know what I still have to go through. Palms were sweaty and I jumped a couple times, but the second half was easier then the first half.
Dr Jebson also ordered two torture splints (really named progressive static splints). They both have hinges or a contraption to dial or pull my arm straighter or more bent. So I will put it on...pull...then wait three hours before taking it off. It already doesn't sound fun.... but I want a full usable arm. They are making the splints from molds of me so they are more comfortable. How do they do that? Well I had two arm casts put on and cut off and then I had a torso cast put on and then cut off. They also cut off my new favorite brown bra that I bought right before surgery so I would be comfortable post surgery as they cut off the cast. I thought that it was a little funny. I think that may have been a first from their reactions. And a few minutes later Nicole (the actual inventor of the splints I will be wearing) told me when I came to pick up my splints next week there would also be a check from U of M for my bra. So... I am still off work until at least February 4th... when I see Dr. Jebson. Until then I am cleaning and organizing my house while going to therapy and learning how to cook healthier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an experience! It sounds like their little cast saw was programmed a little too close to your body! The most staples I have ever seen in a patient is about 20. 65 is a LOT of staples. You must be healing very well. You are a therapists dream to work with because you are so motivated. Wishing you the best with all your therapy and recovery!

Kim said...

Congratulations on the removal of your staples! :-) I am happy your recovery appears to be going well. I love you. Kim